SVBM 

2017 Open Weekend - Free bus service

We're pleased to announce that the 2017 open weekend will feature a free bus service from Dunfermline bus station to the Museum. 

First departaure 10:00 hrs and then every 30 minutes until 16:30 hrs - both days.

Find out more about the Open Weekend here.

Bedford OB and Bristol VR emerge for 2017


Two projects that are emerging from the Museum workshops are Starks Bedford OB SS7486 and Lowland Scottish Bristol VR NDL 656R. Both of these vehicles were major projects for their owners having been resident at the museum for some time. The OB represents a typical rural bus of the 1950s and contrasts with the 1977 Bristol VR. The Bristol was new to Southern Vectis and was bought by the privatised Lowland Scottish operation in the 1990s.

We're a 3 star attraction!


The SVBM are very proud to announce that we have been rated as a three star attraction by Visit Scotland. Our facilities and Guide Sunday tour experience were assessed by Visit Scotland. This award is culmination of great deal of work by volunteers who have been acting as tour guides, bus drivers, cafe and shop staff and those who have built and maintained the facilities. Last but not least, it also reflects our fantastic vehicle collection and the time, effort and money put into it by the vehicle owners.

Award  Sedd

 

The Bob Mackie Collection arrives

The Bob Mackie collection,arrived from Glenboig on 22 March, comprising Albions WG1448, FS1116 and Ford SN6524. 

WG1448,is a 1932 Albion Valkyrie PW65 with Alexander B34F body, new to W Alexander as F55. Withdrawn in 1945, it passed into the fleet of Carmichael (Highland), Glenboig with whom it operated until 1958. It then went to the Sword family, but within a couple of years they had consigned it to a scrap dealer! When purchased by Bob in 1960 it became virtually the first bus in Scotland to be considered 'preserved'. Bob rallied it extensively in the 1960s and as is well known, it was repainted into Edinburgh Corporation livery in 1968 for its appearance in the film The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. After that it seemed to disappear from public gaze and spent many years lurking at the back of Alexanders' Stepps depot, moving to Glenboig Farm when that depot closed.

FS1116 is an Abion PW65 chassis, new to SMT as A98 in 1931, but has lost its Cowieson bodybehind the cab. In 1938 it entered the fleet of Jackson, Auchenheath and was noted on the premises of Hutchison, Overtown in 1973 having been converted to a caravan.

SN6524, Ford BB, new in 1934 to David Lawson of Kirkintilloch. This dinky wee bus has a body by James Martin, also of Kirkintilloch, one of six similar vehicles for the Lawson fleet. After withdrawal in 1938 from the Lawson fleet (by now under W Alexander ownership) it was acquired by Argyllshire operators MacConnacher, Ballachulish and MacLachlan, Tayvallich respectively in succession, being laid up in the latter location from where it was acquired for preservation in 1967. It was restored gradually over the years; Bob never rallied it and few of us ever saw it. It represents a typical 'country' bus of the late 1920s and early '30s, and as such will fill an important gap in the Museum's collection
AlbionAlbion CabFord
(Thanks are due to PSV Circle publications PM5, PM8 and PM9 for the above operator information.)

 

`